For all the debate, uproar and resignations over the draft Withdrawal Agreement between the UK and EU, it’s worth remembering that the future EU-UK trade deal has not yet been decided, writes The Conversation.
A country that conjures images of its ongoing conflict with russia, Ukraine might not sound like somewhere that the UK wants to copy. Yet the style of Ukraine’s relationship with the EU is one that aligns with the prime minister’s objectives, as outlined in her white paper.
According to the research, a Ukraine-plus agreement is feasible and could achieve:
* An end to EU law applying in the UK
* No free movement of people
* Access to the EU single market
* The ability to make its own trade agreements with third countries
* Collaboration with the EU on security and defense policy